shape derived from hand ergonomics and grain structure
- Started with a 6'' x 2'' x 12'' mahogany block
- Bandsaw for material removal, spindle for finger holds, and belt sander for side profile
- Hand-carved the rough final shape; allowed for grain structure discovery and response
- Sanded with 120, 150, 180, 220, 240, and 320 grit paper (hand-sanded; I have a personal conviction that orbitals are too hard to control)
- Steel wool used for polishing
- Stained with Bartley's Pennsylvania Cherry
See the behind the scenes for the product photography here.